COL Lisa A. Shay
Assistant Professor Contact: Office:
Thayer Hall Bldg 601, Rm. 1129 Phone:
LTC Shay is an Academy Professor serving in the Electrical Engineering Program. LTC Shay's previous military assignments include: Operations Officer, Division Signal Office, 5th Infantry Division, Platoon Leader, and S-1, 142nd Signal Battalion, Brigade Automation Officer, 7th Signal Brigade, and Commander, C Company, 44th Signal Battalion, She deployed to Operation Joint Endeavor with 7th Signal Brigade in support of the NATO peacekeeping efforts in Bosnia-Herzegovina. She is a graduate of the Signal Officer Basic and Advanced Courses, the Combined Arms & Services Staff School, The Command and General Staff College, and Airborne school. Her academic interests include neural networks and wireless data communications systems, and power systems.
- M.A., National Security and Strategic Studies, U.S. Naval War College, 2011
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2002
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, Cambridge University, 1991
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, United States Military Academy, 1989
- Lisa A. Shay and Kenneth S. Vastola. "Technology-Independent Link Sensing in Wireless Ad-Hoc Networks: Benefits and Challenges," Chapter 14 in Mobile and Wireless Internet: Protocols, Algorithms and Systems, Kia Makki, Niki Pissinou, Kami (Sam) Makki, E.K. Park (Eds.), Kluwer, 2003, pp. 365-382.
- Lisa A. Shay, Kevin L. Huggins, Jean R. S. Blair, and Barry L. Shoop. “Increasing the Efficiency of an Effective Outcome Assessment Process: Perspectives from an Electrical Engineering and a Computer Science Program," International Journal of Engineering Education, Vol 24, No 5, 2008.
- Kevin L. Huggins, Lisa A. Shay, John M. D. Hill, Bryan S. Goda and Eugene K. Ressler. "Experiences in Preparing Multiple Programs for a Joint ABET Accreditation General Review." In Proceedings of the 32nd ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, 6-9 Nov 2002, p T2B16-T2B21.
- S.P. McGrath, R.S. Gray, E.B. Entin, L.A. Shay. "The ACTCOMM Project: Mobile Agents and Ad Hoc Routing Meeting Military Requirements for Information Superiority." Proceedings of MILCOM 2001, 28-31 Oct 2001.
- Lisa Shay, Woodrow Hartzog, John Nelson, Dominic Larkin, and Gregory Conti, “Confronting Automated Law Enforcement” presented at the We, Robot Inaugural Conference on Legal and Policy Issues Relating to Robotics at the Miami School of Law, Coral Gables, FL, 21-22 April 2012.
- Gregory R. Kilby, Lisa Shay, “FDTD Simulation of Photonic Crystal Vertical-Cavity Surface-Emitting Lasers.” Presented at Frontiers in Optics (FiO)/Laser Science XXVI Conference. FiO/LS October 24-28, 2010, Rochester Riverside Convention Center in Rochester, New York, USA.
- Kirk A. Ingold, Lisa A. Shay, Gregory R. Kilby, “Hole Depth Studies in Single-Defect Photonic Crystal Vertical-Cavity Surface-Emitting Lasers using 3-D FDTD Simulations.” Presented at Frontiers in Optics (FiO)/Laser Science XXV Conference. FiO/LS October 11-15, 2009, San Jose Fairmont & St. Claire Hotel, San Jose, California, USA.
- Kirk A. Ingold, Lisa A. Shay, Gregory R. Kilby, “The Optical and Electronic Characteristics of Photonic Crystal Vertical-Cavity Surface-Emitting Lasers.” Presented at Frontiers in Optics (FiO)/Laser Science XXIV Conference. FiO/LS October 19-23, 2008, Rochester Riverside Convention Center in Rochester, New York, USA.
- David Chang, Grant Jacoby, Lisa Shay, "Preparing and Advising a Fast-Track Education in Robotics." presented at the American Society for Engineering Education Conference in Honolulu, Hawaii, 24-27 June 2007.
- Robert Sadowski, Lisa A. Shay, Christopher Korpela, and Erik Fretheim "Assessing the EE Program Outcome Assessment Process." presented at the American Society for Engineering Education Conference in Honolulu, Hawaii, 24-27 June 2007.
- Barry L. Shoop, George A. Nowak, and Lisa A. Shay. "Deliberate Longitudinal Curricular Integration: Topical Linkages and Concept Reinforcement", presented at the American Society for Engineering Education Conference, Portland, Oregon, June 12-15, 2005. Available online: http://www.asee.org/acPapers/2005-2261_Final.pdf
- Peter D. Hanlon, Bryan S. Goda , and Lisa A. Shay. "Experience with Multi-Disciplinary Design Projects at the U.S. Military Academy" presented at the American Society for Engineering Education Conference in Salt Lake City, Utah, June 2004.
- Lisa A. Shay, Bryan S. Goda and Peter D. Hanlon, John M. D. Hill,. "Outcome Assessment at the U.S. Military Academy" presented at the American Society for Engineering Education Conference in Salt Lake City, Utah, June 2004.
- "Toward Increasing the Efficiency of an Effective Outcome Assessment Process" Invited talk at the Best Assessment Practices IX Workshop at the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, 12-14 April 2007.
- Shay, Lisa A. The Wireless Network Environment Sensor: A Technology-Independent Sensor of Faults in Mobile Wireless Network Links. Ph.D. thesis, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2002.
- Shay, Lisa A. "Application of Amorphous Silicon to Neural Networks.” M.Sc. thesis, Cambridge University, United Kingdom.
- Chang, D. J., Jacoby, G. and Shay, L., "Educating and Advising Future Leaders in Robotics", Assembly, November 2007.
COL Shay is a Senior Member of IEEE
. She is currently the Central Area Chair within the IEEE Region 1. She also holds an Advanced Class Amateur radio license and is a member of ARRL
.Fields of active research include:
Robotics and Ethics