The Writing Program holds summer orientation workshops for every academic department, as well as workshops and individual consultations tailored to departmental and faculty needs throughout the semester. These workshops, for all incoming faculty, will consist of two sessions (60-75 minutes each) tailored to departmental needs. Main topics include:
- overviews of the West Point Writing Program, Mounger Writing Center, and Writing Fellows Program
- how to address writing as a topic and practice in the classroom, in accordance with our Pedagogical Model
- how to design, explain, and support particular writing assignments
- how to respond to Cadet writers economically and effectively
- how to develop writing-to-learn activities and manage peer workshopping or conferencing
- how to evaluate Cadets in Signature Writing Events (including calibration exercises)
These workshops are further supplemented by a speaker series in which members from the USMA faculty, as well as leading faculty outside West Point, facilitate discussions on particularly pressing or promising aspects of writing and its teaching.
To support faculty as writers themselves, the Writing Program sponsors the Faculty Writing Group, which meets regularly to enable faculty writers to dedicate time for their own scholarship. Consultations for faculty members are also available in the Mounger Writing Center (MWC).