Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Admissions : Apply_Nominations


After determining that you meet the basic requirements to become a cadet, you should begin seeking nominations. In order to be considered for admission at West Point, you need to be nominated. There are two types of nominations, the Congressional Nomination and the Service-Connected Nomination.

We understand this may be an unfamiliar process to you, so it is important you learn what to do and by when. Below is additional information on how to obtain a Congressional Nomination and/or a Service-Connected Nomination. Please read this carefully and contact an Admissions Officer for further questions.  Forms are available to fill out by clicking on the links under the respective information sections.

Our online viewbook, or “Prospectus,” is a great source of information. You can find sample request letters and mailing addresses there. Below are some more tips that will help you get started.

Congressional Nominations - Who Can Nominate?
  • The Vice President
  • U.S. Senators
  • U.S. Representatives
  • Delegates to the House of Representatives from Washington, D.C., the Mariana Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Virgin Islands
  • The Governor of Puerto Rico
  • The Resident Commissioner of Puerto Rico
  • The Secretary of the Army

What to Do:

  • Apply for every nomination for which you are eligible. At minimum, send a request to the two U.S. Senators from your state, your Congressional representative in the House of Representatives and the Vice President.
  • Begin seeking nominations in the spring of your junior year, or as soon as you apply to West Point. Do not delay! The nomination deadlines vary, but they are deadlines, not suggested or preferred dates. If you miss a deadline, there are no exceptions. Applicants must complete the online VP nomination application during the application period of March 1 to January 31 preceding the year of entrance to the academy. Don’t take a chance on missing a deadline. Start early!
  • Find out whether you are eligible for nominations related to military service. For example, sons and daughters of career military personnel may be eligible for Presidential nominations. Please check the online Prospectus for more information.
Return to Menu
Service-Connected Nominations - Who Can Apply?
  • Sons and Daughters of "career military personnel" (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard)
  • The category "career military personnel" refers to members of an armed force (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard) who are on active duty (other than for training) and currently serving with at least eight years of continuous service on active duty, or who are, or who died while they were, retired with pay or granted retired or retainer pay. Also included are service members currently serving in the reserve component who are credited with at least eight continuous years of service computed under section 12733 of Title 10, United States Code. Finally, Reservists who would be, or who died while they would have been, entitled to retirement pay except for not having attained 60 years of age are also included in this category.
    • Must furnish a statement of service, retirement orders, or casualty report
    • A stepparent's military service is applicable for this category only if the applicant was adopted.
  • Regular Army and Reserve Components (Army, Army Reserve, and Army National Guard)
  • To request a nomination under this category, submit your commander's assessment, which is included in your application. Please provide your commander with the following Commander's Guidance that can be used during his interview with you. Soldiers who are not offered an appointment to West Point are automatically considered for enrollment in the United States Military Academy Preparatory School (USMAPS).
  • Sons and Daughters of Deceased or Disabled Armed Forces Veterans
  • This category is for sons and daughters of deceased or 100% disabled Armed Forces veterans whose death or disability was determined by the Department of Veteran Affairs to be service-connected, and for sons and daughters of military personnel or federally employed civilians who are in a missing or captured status.
    • Include a brief statement concerning the date, place and cause of death or the details of disability together with the claim number assigned to the veteran parent's case by the Department of Veteran Affairs (if appropriate).
  • Sons and Daughters of Medal of Honor Recipients
  • Daughters and sons of Medal of Honor recipients are eligible under this category.
    • Include a brief statement of the date and circumstances under which the Medal of Honor was earned, if applicable.
  • Army Junior and Senior ROTC Programs and Honor ROTC Units of Other Services
  • Applicants currently enrolled in an Army Junior or Senior Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) program or an ROTC program from another branch of service that has been designated as an Honor Unit with Distinction are eligible for a nomination in this category. A request for a ROTC Nomination should be made through your Professor of Military Science or Senior Instructor who must fill out and submit a Request for ROTC Nomination (Form 5-497) to the Director of Admissions, U.S. Military Academy.

    NOTE: You must have Adobe Reader installed on your computer to view the Sample Statement below. A free version of the Adobe Reader software is available for download at the Adobe website    

Return to Menu
Home  ¦  Contact  ¦  Visit  ¦  FAQs  ¦  Apply  ¦  Summer Program  ¦  Webmaster
©West Point Admissions ¦ Building 606, West Point, New York  10996 ¦ 845.938.4041
Application Links
- Apply Online
USMA Application Timeline
Candidate Login
Application Process
- Requirements
- Nominations
- Medical and Physical Requirements

Need more info?
Read the FAQs
SLE Application
Admissions Events in Your Area
Physical Preparation
Visit West Point
Contact Us
West Point Catalog
Glossary of Terms