The best thing you can do for yourself is to closely manage your file and complete requirements as early as possible. The Candidate Questionnaire (CQ) opens each year in January for high school juniors. The Summer Leader Experience application is part of the CQ. At the beginning of senior year, the Admissions office notifies applicants meeting the minimum academic standards that they are “official candidates” and provides instructions for completing the remainder of the online application. Pay close attention to deadlines for both the application and your individual congressional nominations. It is your future – you need to own it!
Prepare Yourself Now
- Continue to challenge yourself academically.
- Take the SAT and/or ACT multiple times; West Point combines the highest math and verbal scores from either test to evaluate your competitiveness.
- Train for the Candidate Fitness Assessment (CFA)
- Prepare for the physical demands of West Point Department of Physical Education Strategy Guide
- Serve in leadership roles, i.e., team captain, class president, Eagle Scout/Gold Award, etc.
- Read our Frequently Asked Questions and books about West Point, watch documentaries, and follow our social media accounts for an inside view on cadet life
Complete Requirements Early
- Open an admissions file through the Candidate Portal .
- Schedule the medical exam immediately upon notification.
- Contact nomination sources.
- Send us transcripts and SAT/ACT scores.
For more information about the application process feel free to contact your local Field Force Representative , or for information specific to congressional nominations in your state please contact the regional office for your Senator or State Representative.