First Year and Beyond (FYB) Program
FYB is a Dean’s program. It is intended to assist selected cadets improve their academic performance. These are cadets who, based on their performance in first-term academic courses, are having difficulty adapting to the rigors of the academic program.
The FYB program is intended to help selected cadets:
- Develop and demonstrate appropriate study behaviors
- Adhere to FYB Team Leader recommendations and use them to improve academic performance
- Graduate from the United States Military Academy:
- Pass academic courses
- Meet academic peg points as defined in the Red Book
- Develop as self-directed learners
- At six-week grades, the Operations and Registrar Division (ORD) generates a list of potential FYB cadets based on a modified version of the Academic Performance Score (APS).
- The Vice Dean for Education (VDE) and FYB Coordinator explain the program to cadets and offer them the opportunity to participate.
- Volunteers drop a course from their plebe year fall schedule (except English or Math).
- Cadets who drop a course will take a course during Summer Term Academic Program.
- FYB cadets meet regularly throughout the academic year with a CEP instructor to address their academic performance.