Skip to main content
Center for Faculty Excellence
Tips for Teaching
Nine Principles of Learning
- We learn to do by doing.
- We learn to do what we do and not something else.
- Without readiness, learning is inefficient and my be harmful.
- Without motivation there can be no learning at all.
- For effective learning, responses must be immediately reinforced.
- Meaningful content is better learned and longer retained than less meaningful content.
- For the greatest amount of transfer learning, responses should be learned in the way they are going to be used.
- One's response will vary according to how one perceives the situation.
- An individual's responses will vary according to the learning atmosphere.