Center for Teaching Excellence
|U.S. Military Academy Campus License (for use by all USMA faculty)|
Respondus® is an offline editing tool for creating and managing tests and surveys that can be printed to paper or published directly to your Blackboard course. Exams can also be easily converted from Microsoft Word files for use in Blackboard or downloaded from Blackboard for formatting and printing. Regardless of your experience level with online testing, Respondus can save you significant time on each project.
*Respondus has made.some significant user design changes in version 4.0.8. While these changes don’t require retraining, or even new thinking, on the part of current users, everything pretty much works the same, it's definitely a cleaner, more modern look. Here’s an example of the old and new Start screens:
Before you begin...
The Respondus® installer is available to all faculty from the Windows Software Center. Important: as part of installing the application, a small pop-up will appear containing a "Register" button. You must click this button to activate the application and complete the installation. Finally, when Respondus first opens, you will need to choose Blackboard from the drop-down menu as the application "personality."
The pdf located at this link will guide you in configuring a new installation of Respondus to work with usma.blackboard.com or in updating an existing installation (this link only works from the USMA network). Additionally, the complete UserGuide for Respondus® for Blackboard is located here.
There's no faster or easier way to create online exams than with test banks from more than 20 of the leading publishers in higher education. If you are using a textbook from one of these publishers, there are over 5,000 ready-to-use test banks available to you from the Respondus Test Bank Network
|Respondus Inc. has released Respondus 4.0.8*|
This update includes major enhancements, including the following features:
- A new Media Wizard makes it easier to add images, audio and video files, and to link to content on external web servers (e.g. YouTube and Picasa)
- The Question List on the Edit tab now includes context menus with options such as preview, edit, delete, move, and more
- Question Lists now offer an “Expanded View” that displays a full-screen version of the list of questions
- The Import task now allows importing of Ordering, Jumbled Sentence, and Fill in Multiple Blank question types
- Printing includes new features to control randomizing of questions and answer choices
- Campus-wide license users can now update their annual license information at any time using File > Update License
- A number of bug fixes were also included in this update. Note that the online help and user guides were updated to reflect the above enhancements.
|Return to Menu|
|Respondus Features (© Respondus, Inc., from the Respondus Web site)|
- Includes a distinct user environment (called a "personality") for Blackboard
- Create exams and assessments offline using a Windows interface
- Supports up to 15 question types, including calculated and algorithmic formats.
- Import questions from MS Word (including embedded images), rich-text, QTI and tab/comma delimited formats
- Use the Exam Wizard to create an assessment in minutes
- "Spell check" an entire exam file (includes dictionaries for American English, Canadian English, British English, French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Finnish, and a comprehensive medical dictionary)
- Add tables, bulleted lists, font changes, and enhanced formatting (e.g. bold, italics) just like in a word processor
- Insert mathematical and scientific symbols using the Respondus Equation Editor or MathType
- Embed graphics, audio, and video without writing or viewing the underlying HTML
- Resize graphics and convert them to JPEG format with one click
- Add links to multimedia content on other servers with the Web Links tool
- Create random sets of questions in seconds with a one-step wizard
- Preview questions before publishing them to the server
- Publish exams and assessments directly to an online course (media files are automatically uploaded)
- A “batch publish” feature allows assessments and surveys to be published to multiple courses in a single step!
- Determine point values and exam settings offline
- Print exams/surveys directly from Respondus, or save files to MS Word or rich-text format
- Retrieve exams from Blackboard®, complete with media files.
- Retrieve custom reports, such as student scores, summary statistics, and answer distributions.
- Download answer databases for quizzes or surveys and save them in an Excel-compatible format.
- Archive and restore exam/survey projects (including media content) with one click — ideal for providing a colleague with a ready-to-use exam
- Quickly locate questions using keyword searches
- Full context-sensitive help
- Respondus User Guide (MS Word/Wordpad format)
- An easy-to-use interface that, for most users, makes online help and the user-guide unnecessary
- Access to over 2,000 publisher test banks in Respondus format for instructors who adopt a participating textbook
- Operating System
32 MB RAM minimum
- Hard Disk Space
10 MB of free hard disk space for program files
800x600 minimum (1024x768 recommended)
- Course Management System
Respondus 4.0 is compatible with Blackboard 9.1
|Return to Menu|