Teach in the Department of Foreign Languages
We are constantly searching for top-quality Army Officers with extensive knowledge of foreign languages and cultures to share their acquired knowledge with the Cadets at USMA. We believe that an understanding of foreign languages and cultures will assist West Point Graduates in addressing the international dilemmas and conflicts that they will undoubtedly be engaged in throughout their Army careers.
- For the Faculty Search Period with a deadline of 27 October 2017, we are currently searching for languages to be determined.
In order to teach in the Department of Foreign Languages (DFL) an Officer must:
· be in the grade of O3 or above (primary focus on YG2011, 2012 and 2013)
· be a career course graduate
· be Company Grade Key Development (KD) complete (NLT start of Graduate School)
· possess the aptitude to teach one or more of the languages within the DFL (based on DLPT score/ Candidate Interview)
· possess at least a Master’s degree in the language being taught **
You can apply to join the rotating military faculty through the advanced civil schooling program (Masters or Ph.D.) or through a direct fill assignment (if you already possess at least a Masters Degree and display proficiency in the language). If selected by a DFL candidate board to teach in DFL, you will be given a full paid Scholarship through the Army to obtain either a Masters or Ph.D from a U.S. University of your choice. Masters degree candidates are given between one and two years to complete their degree and Ph.D. candidates are given 3 years.
Upon completion of your schooling, rotating military faculty members will serve a 2-3 Year utilization tour at USMA teaching their language.
If you are interested in an ACS assignment, please fill out the USMA officer assignment interest form at the following link:
In filling out your interest form, please ensure that you indicate which language(s) you would like to teach in the last box “Indicate the discipline(s) in which you would like to study and teach...”. Please note that in order to be considered for the upcoming selection board, your full Application needs to be submitted NLT 15 October.
Once your interest form has been reviewed, and you have been approved for selection as a candidate, please access the WEST Link for Faculty Applicants Faculty Candidate Login and upload, at a minimum, the following documents:
- Last Three OERs
- Updated ORB
- Letter of Intent answering the question “Why do you want to teach a Foreign Language for DFL at West Point and why do you believe you are best suited for the position you are applying for?”
- College Transcripts (Unofficial Student Copies are satisfactory for this portion of the process)
Please also thoroughly fill out the rest of the application, especially, the information regarding your DLPT scores.
Point of Contact:
If you have any questions or issues regarding the application process, please contact, LTC Zach Miller
, or CPT Nicolas Franchitti, firstname.lastname@example.org.
**Graduate Study concentrations such as Area Studies may only be considered on a case by case basis and approved by the DFL Chain of Command.