United States Military Academy (USMA) Trademark Licensing Program
The USMA Trademark Licensing Program was formally established to protect and license the institutional names and identifying marks, the "licensed indicia" of our Academy. These marks are registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office and/or are protected under state and common law. USMA licensed indicia are the exclusive property of the United States Army and managed locally by the USMA Licensing Director. License or authorization is required for any and all use of the licensed indicia.
To view the portfolio of USMA logos, marks, verbiage, and colors please see the Licensed Indicia Sheet.
Note that the Licensed Indicia Sheet is non-exhaustive and absence from this list of a mark used by the U.S. Army or USMA does not constitute any waiver of intellectual property rights.
Individuals and organizations wishing to use USMA's trademarks on commercial products must obtain permission to do so by obtaining a license through Learfield Licensing Partners. Learfield Licensing administers the USMA licensing program through a contracted agreement.
For information on Learfield Licensing resources and services, as well as applications for becoming a licensed vendor of the United States Military Academy, please contact the company directly:
Crafters and Hobbyists
The Crafter’s Licensing Program was created to allow small independent artisans to participate in USMA’s licensing program. By entering into an agreement with the Academy, artisans are able to legally produce and sell products depicting USMA indicta, benefiting from the Academy’s popularity. All individuals must obtain approval prior to using any of USMA’s marks and names on any product.
• The Crafter must apply for a license and have a fully executed agreement with USMA prior to using the marks on any product for commerce. Licenses will be valid for one year; they may be renewed annually.
• Payment of a licensing fee of $100 per year.
• Upon approval you will receive 100 hologram stickers for your merchandise. More stickers may be purchased at the fee of $1 per sticker.
• A crafter may not sell more than 500 items or $2,500 per year. Crafters will be required to report sales at the end of the year. If and when a Crafter surpasses the 500 items or $2,500 per year cap, the Crafter will be asked to apply for a commercial license through our commercial licensing partner Learfield Licensing.
• Silk screen apparel and tailgate games (cornhole, bag-toss, ladder toss, giant Jenga, etc.) will not be considered for the Crafter’s program. The use of vinyl on apparel will also not be approved due to its close similarity to silk screen.
• All items must be made inside your home. Items that are produced by third parties are not eligible for the Crafter’s program.
• Crafter’s may not wholesale their items or sell their items to any third party retailers, except for the Daughters of the United States Army (DUSA) gift shop located in Highland Falls, NY and the Spouses Club Gift Shop located on West Point.
Crafter’s prior to February 16, 2017
Crafter’s who received their license prior to February 16, 2017 will not be subject to the above imposed rules until their current license expires. Upon their application for renewal, the above will be applied to their license.
Authorization for non-commercial use is coordinated through the USMA Licensing Director. This includes the use of trademarks by closely affiliated organizations, like West Point Societies, West Point Parents Clubs, and other private affinity groups. This also applies to one-time use requests. **PLEASE NOTE: Due to the large volume of requests, it will take 2 - 6 weeks to process your request. Please plan accordingly, and thank you for your patience.**
Please send the following information to email@example.com to apply for your closely affiliated license:
1. Organization name and brief description
2. Lead contact name and position/title
3. Physical mailing address
Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a one-time use license:
1. Your name and affiliation with the Academy
2. Your physical mailing address
3. Marks you are requesting to use
4. Item you'd like to produce marks on
5. Maximum number of items you'd like to produce
Only officially licensed vendors may produce goods or offer services that bear USMA-licensed indicia. The "Officially Licensed Products" label, displayed at left, assures alumni, parents, and fans that the merchandise on which it appears is officially sanctioned by USMA and that the royalties from all purchases benefit the Academy. To view a list of current licensed vendors please search here.
OFFICIAL POLICIES AND GUIDELINES
Several policy and guideline documents exist related to the use of USMA's marks. These documents are listed below:
For more information:
United States Military Academy
600 Thayer Road, Taylor Hall
West Point, NY 10996