Advanced Individual Academic Development (AIAD) Program in the Department of Chemistry & Life Science
The Advanced Individual Academic Development (AIAD) program provides cadets with an opportunity to observe and implement concepts from their education in chemistry, chemical engineering and life science over several weeks during this summer internship. The AIAD program enables cadets to perform research with leaders in government and private sector laboratories, both stateside and abroad. These unique experiences broaden cadets’ perspectives and provide them with practical advanced education related to their field of study and real-world application of science in the military.
USMA’s Advanced Individual Academic Development (AIAD) program is a key portion of the institution’s “Margin of Excellence Concept.” Cadets spend two to four weeks, during the summer academic break (late May to early August), conducting academically enriching studies, service, research and cultural immersions.
Example C&LS AIAD Opportunities:
- Army Medical Center Summer Medical Internship (Germany)
- Flexible Carbon Nanotubes (ARL, Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD)
- Physician Shadowing at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (Bethesda, MD)
- Waste-to-Energy Research (Cobleskill, NY)
- University Summer Research Program (Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN)
- Molecular Bio-techniques for Tracking Seasonal Affective Disorder (NY)
- Bioengineering Biofuels for the Military (St. Louis, MO)
- Improved Armaments; Chemistry (Picatinny Arsenal, NJ)
- Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) Intensive Study Seminar (West Point, NY)
- Research at a National Lab (Sandia, Lawrence Livermore, or Los Alamos)
- And many more! Dozens of AIADs will be sponsored by the C&LS Department.
Q: What one thing should I keep in mind to when applying for an AIAD slot?
A: Talk with your TAC and the AIAD Sponsor. Don’t just select a few choices and assume you will get a slot. Your summer schedule includes more than just AIADs, and open communication will help you manage your expectations. Sometimes an interview with the AIAD Sponsor is required for consideration.
Q: How do I make my AIAD selections? Can I apply to more than one?
A: In January, you will be given the option to select up to four AIAD choices via CIS. Many cadets do NOT get their first choice. You must meet the prerequisites, and there are a limited number of slots.
Q: Do Plebes really ever get selected for an AIAD?
A: YES! AIADs are primarily for rising Firsties and Cows; however, you are eligible if you meet all requirements. Each year our department has many AIAD slots that are not filled.