About the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
The Army’s premier source of information technology, electrical engineering, and computer science education for Army officers; sustaining a culture where cadets, faculty, and staff members are inspired to achieve their full potential; recognized for contributions to the Academy, the Army, and our disciplines.
We base our unique values on the Army's: Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal Courage. To these we add...
We innovate at the speed of trust.
We treat others as they would have us treat them.
We strive for broad and deep knowledge about all our disciplines.
We quietly help each other to succeed.
We take responsibility for improvements of all kinds.
We share a sense of collegial enthusiasm about what we do.
We perform each task as well as it ought to be done.
We seek to be well-rounded human beings.
- Our graduates possess knowledge of state-of-the-art engineering and technology that meets Army needs; they are able to master and apply new technologies throughout a career of service.
- Our teaching makes cadets responsible for their own development in an environment of exceptional resources, guidance, and encouragement to succeed.
- Our programs are nationally accredited and highly regarded within the community of college education.
- Our faculty and staff are a diverse team of professionals, each making his or her personal best contribution to our mission and valuing the contributions of others.
- Our climate prizes initiative, innovation, and accomplishment for the department team, underpinned by enthusiasm for learning in all our disciplines.
- Our centers of excellence integrate externally resourced, Army-relevant research and outreach projects with cadet education and faculty professional development.
- Our organization is kind and fair to people, assigning work equitably, honoring preference, rewarding excellence, enabling continued professional success.
- Our support activities provide a practically constraint-free environment for accomplishing the mission.
Some facts and figures...
Our department is 71 great people with exceptionally diverse skills and backgrounds. Our classrooms see about 1,800 cadets per year. We operate 28 laboratories including computer, electronic, power, photonic, microwave, VLSI design, and other types, most of them seating 18 cadets, which is our maximum class size. We have a first rate technology infrastructure tied together by a network fast-approaching 100% gigabit speed. Our fabrication shop can build nearly anything, and we have great softball, basketball, and volleyball teams.