Welcome West Point Staff and Faculty! The purpose of this site is to provide educators with helpful tips for teaching in a remote environment. Please click on the links below to learn more about each aspect of remote teaching and learning; some links may require O365 authentication. Be sure to check back for updates!
For questions, concerns, and recommendations regarding the Remote Teaching environment, please contact your Remote Teaching Fellows:
New MS Teams Features for August-September
Click here for instructions on how to use spotlight mode to lock a presenter’s video during class and use Insights to monitor students’ digital engagement.
Click here for instructions on how to update new features for MS Teams, including new meeting controls, a Meeting notes options, Large gallery mode (up to 49 video streams at once), and Together mode.
Click here for a video that walks through enabling the new meeting experience, together mode, large gallery mode, a separate meeting note experience, focus mode (which turns all other’s videos off simultaneously), and end meeting mode. Click here for a video that shows how to present your camera next to your presentation (instead of as a smaller icon underneath it).
All Academics Remote Teaching & Collaboration Session
November 12, 2020 from 1530 - 1700 (EST)
Please join us for the All Academies Remote Teaching Collaboration Session on Thursday, November 12th from 1530 to 1700 (EST). This session provides an open atmosphere to ask questions and enable enhanced collaboration across the Service Academies to discuss remote teaching challenges and solution. Click here for details the and the link to the BB Collaborate session.
- Remote Considerations for Asynchronous and Synchronous Lesson Planning
- Comparison of capabilities for Remote Platforms
- Ideas to increase student engagement
- Considerations for Remote Assessments
- Syllabus Design Tips: set expectations about which platforms are used for which purpose (announcements, class, exams, submissions), how AI will be conducted, and what to expect before and during class. Click here for examples of remote considerations for syllabi and section marcher guidance.
- Communicate with your students and make announcements using MS Teams or Blackboard. For simplicity, try to choose just one platform for communication.
- Schedule a class or meeting using MS Teams or Blackboard Collaborate. For a comparison of capabilities, click here.
- Schedule AI with a student using MS Teams or Blackboard Collaborate. Or just "meet now" on MS Teams. For a comparison of capabilities, click here.
- Add a Personal Icon Picture in MS Teams or Blackboard.
- Post Documents or videos Using MS Teams or Blackboard. Upload videos using Stream on MS Teams. For a comparison of capabilities, click here.
- Make a file a tab in MS Teams
- Set up a large event (250+ attendees) using MS Teams (Live) or Blackboard.
- Set up a discussion board on MS Teams or Blackboard. For a comparison of capabilities, click here.
- Pre-Record a Lecture or Powerpoint Lesson
- Change Powerpoint Slideshow functions to manage multiple screens when teaching
- Gather Attendance: ask students to turn on their video cameras and do a "radio check" or ask them to raise their hands (both Teams and BB)
- Add a personalized background in MS Teams
- Share Slides, Screens, Whiteboards, and Videos on MS Teams (for videos, be sure to click "Include system audio". Share Slides, Screens, Whiteboards, and Videos on Blackboard Collaborate.
- Post a poll or question requiring immediate student feedback using MS Teams or Blackboard Collaborate. For MS Teams, use the chat function to post a question, post the answers, and ask students to "thumbs up" an answer. Use Blackboard Collaborate to assess student's understanding using feedback tools. For a comparison of capabilities, .
- Use Kahoot for multiple-choice and True/False questions
- Host Group Work/Breakout Groups in MS Teams (create private channels for each group) or Blackboard
- Host a meaningful classroom discussion on any platform: assign lesson objectives or speaking roles before class, refer to student comments from a discussion board (using OneNote), share meeting notes, or ask all students to turn their videos on.
- Record a meeting or class in MS Teams or Blackboard
Preparing for and Adjusting to breaks in Communication: gather cell phone numbers and develop contingency plans (email, private chat)
- Report Attendance and post 6-week grades on AMS. Other helpful tips for instructors and course directors on AMS.
- PDRs: schedule a video-chat with the student on MS Teams and submit PDR on AMS
- Click the following links to access department-level remote-teaching tools (may require O365 access):
- Department of Behavioral Sciences and Leadership (POC: CPT Tara Middlebrooks)
- Department of Chemistry and Life Science (POC: CPT Preston Dihle)
- Department of Civil and Mechanical Engineering (POC: LTC Jacob Bruhl and MAJ Briana Fisk)
- Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (POC: Dr. Charles "Chip" Schooler)
- Department of English and Philosophy (POC: MAJ Vince Worrell)
- Department of Foreign Languages
- Arabic – MAJ Kathy Nowak
- Chinese – Dr. Li Hsing C Ho
- French – Dr. Julia Praud
- German – Dr. John Benjamin
- Persian – Ms. Stephanie Irani-Tehrani
- Portuguese – Dr. Josh Enslen
- Russian – Dr. John Pendergast
- Spanish – Dr. Sherry Maggin
- Department of Geography and Environmental Engineering (POC: LTC Ben Wallen)
- Department of History (POC: LTC Luke Frank)
- Department of Law (POC: LTC Ron Alcala)
- Department of Mathematical Sciences (POCs: COL Joe Lindquist & Dr. Diane Thomas)
- Department of Physics and Nuclear Engineering (POCs: COL David Phillips, MAJ Cat Barker, CPT Gini Coghlan)
- Department of Social Sciences (POC: MAJ Kyle Wolfley)
- Department of Systems Engineering (POC: COL Hise Gibson)
- Additional Remote Teaching Department Points of Contacts:
- Department of Physical Education:
- Physical Education (PE215) – Dr. Todd Crowder, (PE450) – CPT Andy Ferreira, KN Courses – Dr. Jesse Germain
- Defense and Strategic Studies
- Department of Military Instruction (CPT Chauncey Jinks)
Simon Center for the Professional Military Ethic (MAJ Kim Kopack)
- Department of Physical Education:
- Remote Teaching Office Hours and recent Office Hours notes
- Upcoming Instructional Technology Training Sessions
- Best Practices Discussion Forum from FLICR
- Best Practices learned from 25 Interviews with Peer Institutions
- Remote Teaching articles from Air Force Academy's Teaching Tailwinds publication
- 7 things you should know about Hyflex and an example of HyFlex in practice at West Point.
- West Point Help Desk, for general IT questions
- Center for Teaching Excellence
- Microsoft Teams Desktop Training and Microsoft Teams for Educators Training
- Additional Blackboard Help at West Point
Suggestions for improvements to this website or other best practices to capture? Please send them to Major Kyle Wolfley at firstname.lastname@example.org