Military Officer Application Process
Each January, we conduct a selection board that chooses officers to join the DPE faculty. Now is the time to begin compiling and submitting your packet for the January 2020 Selection Board. Your packet is due 01 Dec 2019. You may begin your file online utilizing the W.E.S.T system. To determine if this board meets your career timeline, take a look at where you are now and how you fit in DPE's timeline:
|Example 1||Example 2||Example 3||Example 4|
|Board||Jan 2020||Jan 2021||Jan 2022||Jan 2023|
|Begin Grad School||Jun 2021||Jun 2022||Jun 2023||Jun 2024|
|Report to USMA||Jun 2022||Jun 2023||Jun 2024||Jun 2025|
|Depart USMA||Jun 2025||Jun 2026||Jun 2027||Jun 2028|
Thus, the primary year groups of interest for the Jan 2020 Board are YG 13 through YG 15. Some officers from YG 16 may also fit into the timeline for this board. Applicants must be branch qualified prior to beginning grad school. To complete your application, you must upload the following information into your W.E.S.T. account :
- Officer Record Brief
- All Officer Evaluation Reports (to include AERs)
- Official DA Photograph (add photo to W.E.S.T. home page)
- Letters of Recommendation: at least 3 (address to COL Nicholas H. Gist, Director, Department of Physical Education, USMA, West Point, NY 10996). Letters can be directly mailed to the Recruiting Officer at DPE. See address below.
- University Transcripts
- GRE Scores (must be within 5 years of the start of graduate school according to the DPE timeline above. Also, if you have completed a graduate degree on your own from May 2015 forward, you do not need GRE scores for your packet. Just submit all transcripts.)
- Copy of APFT Scores (as many recent as possible)
- Resume: focus on background in physical education and athletics/fitness (bullet format)
- Short Essay: at a minimum answering the following questions:
- a. Why do you want to be a DPE instructor at USMA?
- b. What unique strengths would you contribute to enhance the Department, specifically what committees do you think you are best suited to enhance and why (military movement (gymnastics), boxing, aquatics, and/or combatives)?
- c. As a DPE Sport Educator, for which types of intramural programs do you think you are best suited to enhance our competitive sports program?
- d. What are your long-term goals, and how does a teaching assignment in DPE contribute to those goals?
- Complete Security Questionnaire (click here) and upload to your W.E.S.T. application file under the 'Statements' category.
You may start a file online by clicking here and submitting a USMA interest form . You will be provided a user ID and password within 10 business days to begin your online file. You may continually update online or forward additional information that attests to your military, academic and athletic accomplishments. You may submit information electronically, via fax, or by mail to:
Department of Physical Education
United States Military Academy
735 Brewerton Road
ATTN: Recruiting Officer
West Point, NY 10996
FAX: (845) 938-0708
Office: (845) 938-3320
E-MAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org Final selection is competitive based on academic and military qualifications. Once selected, officers apply to graduate school (Texas A&M, University of Indiana or UNC Greensboro) where they earn a Masters degree in Physical Education, Kinesiology, or Exercise Physiology. The degree programs are all one year in length and immediately precede your 3-year utilization tour here at USMA. The degree programs are set up to prepare the officer for their duties at USMA. Generally, the program of study includes pedagogy, curriculum development, motor learning/control, and exercise physiology courses while also allowing you the opportunity to assist in teaching some basic physical education activity classes.Thank you for your time and thank you for your service! Click here to Apply Top of Form