Center for Teaching Excellence
Respondus® LockDown Browser
U.S. Military Academy Campus License (for use by all USMA faculty)
Respondus LockDown Browser™ is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Blackboard. When students use Respondus LockDown Browser they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications (unless the instructor allows selected applications, i.e., calulator or XL sheet viewer, to be used). When an assessment is started, students are locked into it until they submit it for grading.
Install the Respondus® LockDown Browser for Windows from the Respondus Server.
*Please Note: the Respondus Lockdown Browser iPad App must be installed from the Apple App store.
Before you begin...
The following YouTube videos explain the features and basic operation of Respondus LockDown Browser. The Quick Start Guides are 1-4 pages in length and contain the essential information for getting started with Respondus LockDown Browser
- Watch a demo video of Respondus LockDown Browser
- Instructor Quick Start Guide for Blackboard Learn PDF
- Setting an exam to allow students to use the iPad Edition of LockDown Browser:
- Login to the online course using an instructor account.
- Select the Respondus LockDown Browser tool (dashboard) and select "Modify Settings" for the exam.
- Select "Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam".
- Expand "[+] Advanced Settings" and select "Allow students to take this exam with an iPad".
- Save the settings
- Watch a demo video of Respondus Lockdown Browser
- Cadet Quick Start Guide for Blackboard Learn PDF
- Using the iPad Edition of LockDown Browser:
- Download and install the " LockDown Browser " app from Apple iTunes to the iPad. (Requires iOS 7 or higher.)
- Enable iPad's "Guided Access" by selecting iPad > Settings > General > Accessibility > Guided Access. Turn on Guided Access and set a passcode (you need to remember this passcode to exit Guided Access after an exam). The setup for Guided Access only needs to be done once.
- Start the LockDown Browser app.
- The first time the app is used, you will be prompted to select your institution and server. (If you later need to change the institution or server, select the settings icon on the LockDown Browser toolbar.)
- Triple-press the iPad home button to start Guided Access and enter LockDown Browser.
- After completing the exam, triple-press the home button and enter the passcode to exit Guided Access.
- Press the Home button again to return to the Home page.
- Feature List
- Integrates with Blackboard Learn 9.1
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Assessments cannot be exited until submitted by users for grading
- Task switching or access to other applications is prevented
- Print, Print Screen and capturing functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to and from an assessment is prohibited
- Screen capture, messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machine, and network monitoring applications are blocked from running
- Right-click menu options and function keys are disabled
- Browser menu and toolbar options are disabled, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
- Source code for the HTML page cannot be viewed
- The browser automatically starts at the login page for the institution’s learning management system
- External links don’t compromise the locked testing environment
- Pages from the assessment are not stored on the computer after exiting
- Assessments that are set up for use with Respondus LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with other browser
- Localized for multiple languages, including English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Portuguese